Written by Mrs. Unnamalai Lectchumanan
Friday, 04 December 2009 09:16
- Rice 2 cups
- Toor dhal 1 cup
- Carrot 1
- Potato 1
- Aubergines (small) 2
- Green peas 100 gram
- Onion 100 gram
- Tomato 1
- Green chillies 2
- Red chillies (dried) 10
- Dhaniya seeds 4 tea spoons
- Poppy seeds ½ tea spoon
- Dried roasted Channa dhal (pottukkadalai) 2 tea spoons
- Pepper corn 10
- Fenugreek seeds ¼ tea spoon
- Coconut (shredded) 2 tea spoon
- Tamarind 2 nellikkai alavu (or 2 tea spoons tamarind paste)
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves
- Ghee and oil mixed 1 cup
- Mustard seeds to season
- Chop the onions and aubergines and into small pieces. Grate the potato and the carrot. Put the tomatoes in hot water. Then remove, skin and chop the them. Slit the green chillies.
- Put some oil in a pan, and add all the masala ingredients (red chillies, dhaniya, poppy seeds, channa dhal, pepper corn, fenugreek seeds, coconut and asafoetida added separately in this order) and lightly roast, and then grind into powder.
- Cook the rice and dhal in 4 cups of water.
- Put some of the oil/ghee mixture in a pan and add the chopped onions and slit green chillies. Fry, then add all the vegetables. Add salt and turmeric to taste. Add ½ cup of water and sauté the vegetables.
- Put the tamarind water and salt in a pan and allow to boil.
- When it has boiled, add the masala powder made earlier and the sautéed vegetables, onions and tomatoes, and allow to boil.
- Next, add the cooked rice and stir well, ensuring there are no lumps remaining.
- Put a little bit of oil/ghee mixture into a pan. Pop the mustard seeds and add a little asafoetida. Add this and the remaining oil/ghee mixture to the rice along with some curry leaves and stir well.